EPISODE III: KIRINA


"My name is Kirina," the girl said as she sucked down a bowl of cereal. "No need to introduce yourselves, I already know who you are."

Lillith and I had taken the girl back to my apartment after finding her in Louise's apartment.

"So," I said. What's your story?"

"Not so fast," Kirina said. "There's one thing I need to know."

"What's that?" I said.

"When did you get telekinesis?"

I thought about that question for a minute. Honestly, I had no idea. I had always been moving things with my mind, and I had never thought about where it had originated.

"I don't know," I said. "As long as I can remember."

"Wow," Kirina said. "I've never encountered something I didn't already know about..."

"Could you just get to the story?" Lillith said, a hint of impatience in her voice.

"Sure," Kirina said.

*     *     *

Kirina was born on January 8, 2068. She had discovered early on that she could control people's thoughts and actions. By the time she was eight, she had killed her parents, her sister, and three of the neighbors. That was the first time they came after her.

The government had heard about the girl who could control people, but they had never had any info on where she was hiding. Then, in 2076, they got word of several people commiting suicide in this small town. They linked the suicides back to her, and they tested their theory by sending someone to kill her. She made him commit suicide, and within seconds, she was in the back of an armored truck, unconscious.

She woke up in a prison completely alone, and she stayed there for five years. They had given her food by use of machines, but not a single person ever got close enough to her for her to kill them.

Finally, when she was thirteen, they sent somebody to make sure she was alive. She mad him tell her where she was, and made him take her out with him.

Kirina had kept her ability hidden from then on, not wanting to be sent back to the prison. She survived on her own for three years. Then, in 2084, a woman named Louise Rentradt threatened to reveal Kirina's identity to the government if she didn't meet with her. However, Louise had somehow found a way to stop Kirina's power, and Kirina was taken by Louise. Kirina had sent someone to hire Lillith and me because she knew we had almost killed Louise two years earlier, and she knew we could save her.

And that was how we came to save her.

*     *     *

"And here I am," Kirina said when she was done with her story.

"That was..." I began, "interesting. Just one question. Why didn't you control somebody to come save you?"

"That would have been stupid," she answered. "They would have died as soon as they got through the door. Assuming, of course, they even got that far."

"I've also got a question," Lillith said. "If there are two people with powers like you two, doesn't that mean that there are probably more of you?"

"Probably," I replied. "But it might not be a good idea to go out and look for them. They are most likely dangerous."

"I never suggested that," Lillith said, irritated.

"Look, you two," Kirina said. "There are others, but they aren't important at the moment. Who is is Louise Rentradt. I have no idea where she is at the moment, but I can find out."

"How?" I asked.

"Simple," she replied. "I just tell everyone in the vicinity to call us if they see her. That amounts to around 500 people. With that many people looking for her at one time, we're sure to find her."

"That works," I said. "When will they start?"

"They already have," Kirina said. "Now, all we can do is wait."

*     *     *

"I really hope this works," Louise Rentradt muttered to herself.

Everything she had done in the past two years had led up to this. If there were any mistakes, it could mean the end of the humanity, and it would be her fault.

Louise knew the risks, which made her that much more scared. However, she also knew that if she didn't take the risks, humanity would end anyway.

It had to work.

Kirina Rose was the best power source she could hope for. Behind Chaos Rose, of course.

*     *     *

We got the call at five o'clock PM the next day. Kirina answered the phone.

"Yes, this is she," she said. "The sewers? Seriously? Ew. Yeah, I know I asked, I never said I didn't. Listen you little bitch... Hello? Damn."

Then she hang up.

"Louise was spotted sneaking into the sewers," Kirina said. "That was ten minutes ago. We might be able to find her if we hurry down there."

"Let's go," I said.

The three of us headed out of the apartment and into the sewers.

TO BE CONTINUED
JANUARY 10...

No comments:

Post a Comment