EPISODE VII: FINDING LOUISE


"Yeah," Kirina said into her cell phone as she, Lillith, and I walked out of the apartment building.

She tapped the screen, and put the phone in her pocket.

"She's at that old asylum just outside of Chicago," Kirina said.

"Which one?" I asked.

"Obviously the OLD Chicago," Lillith said. "There are no asylums here."

Old Chicago, as it was called now, had been the subject of a horrible catastrophe twenty years ago. Three five-year-olds broke out of the daycare in the university and found their way to the nuclear physics lab. They pressed a button, and a nuclear explosion destroyed most of the city. The university was in the center of the city, and the explosion took out everything except the outside edges of the city. New Chicago was built thirty miles outside of the wreckage. The asylum was one of the only things that survived the blast.

We walked to where we kept our Skybikes.

"Can we stop to get some cigarettes first?" I asked the others. "We know where she is, and it would only take two minutes."

"Sure," Lillith said.

Kirina nodded.

"Oh, yeah," Lillith said. "Can I be the one to kill her? I really want to."

"No, Kirina gets to," I said. "She was tortured. She gets to kill her."

"Aw," Lillith said. " I really wanted to."

*     *     *

Louise took the elevator to the bottom floor.

She knew she had been followed. That bitch, Kirina, had sent someone. But that was okay. Soon, all three of them would be dead.

In the basement, Louise set up the trap. It was extremely elaborate. None of them would see it until it was too late.

They would exit the elevator, and a pressure plate would feel them leave. It would set off a chain reaction that would result in all three of them being gassed. They would pass out, and Louise would put them in padded rooms.

This was her last option. If it didn't work, the world would end.

*     *     *

"How'd Louise find out about you?" I asked Kirina while the three of us stood in line at the store.

"What?" she said.

"Louise had to have known about you to threaten you," I said. "How did she know who you were?"

Kirina was silent for a moment. Then, she said, "I don't know. I never thought about it. Honestly, I don't think that really matters."

"You're probably right," I replied.

I was lying. There was something bad happening, and Louise was in the middle of it. I knew we would have to figure out what it was.

*     *     *

The Three watched Chaos, Kirina, and Lillith with much interest. They would do well. After all, this was what they had been createdd for.

*     *     *

Kirina, Lillith, and I arrived at the asylum fifteen minutes after we left the general store.

"We need a plan," I said as we climbed off of our Skybikes. "She's probably got something set up in there to kill us as soon as we walk through the door."

"We can rush it," Lillith said. "It won't get us if we all gang up on it."

"But we don't even know what it is," Kirina said. "What if it's something that is too big or powerful to rush it?"

She thought this over, then said, "I don't know. I didn't think about it."

"I think the best plan is to go in and see what happens," Kirina said. "Try and figure something out as we go."

"With the little we know, that might be all we can do," I said.

The three of us approached the asylum. It was big, and it looked like a castle. I pushed the door open, and the three of us walked in. The lobby looked like a picture out of a history text book about the 1950's. There was a metal elevator behind the main desk. The three of us walked over to it.

"Up, or down?" I asked.

"We should start from the bottom," Lillith said. "That way if she's above us, she will be forced upwards."

The three of us got on the elevator, and I pushed the basement button. It made a horrible screeching noise as it started.

It moved very slowly. It took several minutes for it to reach the bottom floor. We got out, and a white gas immediately began pouring from the walls. I felt myself become light-headed, and fell on the ground wretching. After around a minute of this, I passed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment