EPISODE X: OPHELIA'S RESCUE

They didn't know what to do. The police hadn't yet responded to their offer, and if they didn't soon, Ophelia would have to die.

* * *

Ophelia, a.k.a., the third Rose, was unconscious, with a group of criminals ransoming her to the police. She couldn't escape, so we had to save her. How would we save her? Simple: break into the warehouse she was being kept in, kill everyone inside, and pull her out.

Easier said then done.

As Kirina, Lilith, and I flew on our Skybikes towards New York, I realized this, and spoke up about it.

"So," I said. "It's going to be really hard to get this Ophelia girl."

"We're assassins," Lilith said. "We can manage."

"Okay," I said unassuredly.

I knew we wouldn't be able to manage. First off, we didn't even know how many people were holding her. It could be one, it could be eighty. We had no way of knowing. Second, we didn't know the layout of the place she was being held.

We flew all the way to New York. The police left the kidnappers alone. It took us three days. She didn't wake up.

* * *

"What are we going to do about the girl?" One of the two kidnappers said. "The police aren't accepting or denying."

"I don't know," the other one, the one she had been selling the drugs to, said. "If the police don't take, we could always ransom her to her parents..."

"They can't afford that," the first one said. "Even if they sell their house. And they don't know about her business."

"So..." the second one said. "We could kill her."

* * *

The three of us arrived in New York on our Skybikes three days after we left New Chicago. It was dirty. I could smell the smoke. Everybody looked like they were homeless.

"Um," Lilith said as we walked through the streets, looking for the warehouse. "We have a problem. The kidnappers have decided that if the police haven't paid by the end of the day, they'll kill her."

"Shit," I said. "We have to go get her right now."

We began running back to our Skybikes and climbed on.

"I'll check the northwestern third," I said. "You guys split the south and west."

I flew off.

* * *

The Three watched as the Roses and Lilith searched for Ophelia. They were amazing. They might actually complete their task.

* * *

After only twenty minutes, Lilith called me on my cell phone.

"Hey," I said as soon as I answered. "What's up?"

"The warehouse is on the west edge of the city," Lilith said. "Come here now."

I flew over to her. Kirina was already there.

"How are we getting her?" I asked.

"There are two people in there," Lilith said. "We could take them."

We ran over to the door, and I blasted it in.

The fight only took a few seconds. I threw one of the captors threw the highest window in the building, and threw him nearly one mile in the air. Kirina controlled the other one and made him shoot himself in the head. Lilith grabbed Ophelia and carried her out while all of this was happening. She was unconscious still.

We put her on the back of my Skybike and began flying back to New Chicago. I held her on with my telekinesis.

* * *

The four of us stopped after two hours. Ophelia still wasn't awake. We got her own room and left my door open into her room. Finally, at around midnight, she woke up.

She had straight, blonde hair that reached her waist. She was wearing a Catholic school uniform.

"What's going on?" she said.

The temperature began rising significantly. I remembered from the file that she had the power to raise the temperature in any area to any temperature, and possibly lower it, but that hadn't been confirmed.

"Calm down," I said. "We saved you. And we need your help. And stop heating up this room, I don't want to burn to death."

The temperature stopped going up. I walked over to my bag, opened it, grabbed the file out of it, and threw it to her.

"You are one of four people that has a paranormal power," I said. "I am one. My friend, and my friend Kirina is. My other friend, Lilith, isn't. We are trying to figure out where we came from."

"That's understandable," she said after thinking over it for a moment. "I'll help you."

"Okay," I said. "First, tell me your story."

"Okay," Ophelia said. "I'll start at the beginning."

* * *

Ophelia was adopted before she was one. Her parents loved her very much, and trusted her completely. She began selling drugs when she was fourteen, and by the time she was sixteen, she was the biggest drug dealer in New York. Of course, she was just a legend to the police. She was that good.

Her story didn't reveal anything.

* * *

It took us two more days to get back to New Chicago. The three of us had sparked a new interest in Ophelia's origin, and she had decided to come with us.

As the four of us looked at the file in my apartment, where we had all begun living until we found a bigger one, we realized that the fourth one would be very much harder to find. Nobody had seen him in years. His last sighting had been in California. We had no idea where he could be.

And the worst part: the hard part hadn't even begun.

TO BE CONTINUED
FEBRUARY 28...

No comments:

Post a Comment