EPISODE IX: OPHELIA'S KIDNAPPING

THE STORY SO FAR...

When I was fourteen, my parents were murdered. They had trained me to be an assassin, and I joined forces with Lillith to kill their killer, Louise Rentradt. Together, we thought we'd killed her. The two of us became a team, and over the next two years, became two of the best assassins in the business. Then, we discovered that Louise hadn't actually died.

While trying to find her, we came across Kirina Rose, a girl my age who had the power to control people's minds, and also had an axe to grind with Louise. She pointed out my telekinesis, and together, the three of us discovered Louise hiding in the sewers. However, she had unleashed some demon dog things, and they ravaged New Chicago. We managed to send them back to Hell before continuing our search for Louise.

Finally, in an extreme coincidence, Kirina found her in a coffee shop. She made somebody follow her while Kirina came back for us. We went to an asylum in Old Chicago, and once there, we were gassed. When we woke up, we were all in separate rooms. I escaped and helped the others before we went after Louise for the last time.

Louise was hiding in the top floor of the asylum, which she had rigged to explode. She told us that she had been investigating us when she had killed my parents, and that Kirina and I were brother and sister. I killed her, this time for sure, and we escaped just as the building exploded. As we left, I took a file I had seen on her desk. That was where the story left off...

I couldn't believe what was in the file. It shouldn't be there. It had to be faked...unless...

"You knew," I said, turning to Kirina. "You knew what was going on, and you didn't say a word! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?"

"I didn't know," she said. "I swear."

"Don't play stupid," I said. "I want to know now if you're hiding anything else. If you tell us this second, we will forgive you. If not, we'll kill you."

"I really don't know anything," Kirina said.

I didn't believe her at all. At least, not at first. However, the thought that she was telling the truth began spreading through my mind. I managed to figure out what was happening in time to prevent it.

"You're not controlling me," I said, and turned to Lilith. "Lilith, if you think that there's even a possibility that she's telling the truth, realize that she's controlling you. That's how Louise managed to stop her."

"Got it," Lilith said.

"Now," I said. "Time for you to explain."

"Fine," Kirina said. "I'll start from the beginning..."

* * *

Ophelia walked home from school this way every day. She was sixteen years old, and had been adopted before she was even a year old. She had no idea who her parents were. Or, her biological parents. Her REAL parents were the ones she lived with.

Her latest client, Jerome, was standing a block down from her house. She ran up to him.

"I thought I told you never to come to my house," Ophelia said as she took out the small bag of heroin.

"You did," he said as he took out the money. "But I'm dry."

Ophelia was one of the biggest drug dealers in New York. She dealt to nearly every dealer in the city. Her parents had no idea what she did to get all of her money, but they could never get a straight answer, so they pretended like it didn't matter.

They exchanged, and she turned around and began walking back to her house.

She made it fourteen feet before Jerome grabbed her. Within seconds, she was in the back of an armored truck.

"What the fuck is going on?" she said. "Let me go, or I will fucking kill your asses."

"Sorry, sweetheart," said Jerome. "You ain't gettin' away."

"Shit," Ophelia said.

Very slowly, the heat in the armored truck began to rise.

Then, her head was banged against the wall and she passed out.

* * *

"So, you're saying that you knew about the four of us," I said, "you knew we all had powers, and you knew where the other two were, but that's it?"

"What else could I possibly know?" Kirina said. "I only know that stuff from Louise."

"Whatever," I said. "Right now, we need to focus on finding these other two...Ophelia and Lightning."

"Quick question," Lilith said as she looked at her cell phone. "This may seem like a few too many unlikely coincidences in a single day, but is it at all possible that one of the other two Roses is a drug dealer in New York that goes by the alias 'Shattered Skeleton?'"

"Yes," Kirina replied. "That's Ophelia. Why?"

"She's being held for ransom," Lilith said. "Some people kidnapped her and will sell her to the police for 1 million dollars."

We were all silent for a moment.

Finally, I said something:

"Shit."

TO BE CONTINUED
FEBRUARY 21, 2013...

No comments:

Post a Comment