EPISODE IV: SEWERS

"Thank God," Louise said as she pushed the button on the side of the machine, and the Orb began to glow.

Maybe keeping a portal into another world several miles underground in a sewer in one of the biggest cities in the country wasn't the best idea, but she hadn't had many options.

Louise Rentradt turned and walked away. The machine could do the rest on its own.

*     *     *

The flashlight went out almost three hours after we began our search.

"Fuck," I said as the light winked out of existence. "We'll never find her without light."

"We'll never find her with a light," Lillith said. "These sewers go down for around five miles. Even if we find her, she could easily get away."

"She's right," Kirina said. "We're gonna need more help."

"Where are we gonna get it, though?" I asked.

"Really?" Kirina said. "Just...really?"

All of a sudden, I could hear manholes throughout the sewers opening up, and people climbing down.Then it hit me: Kirina was making them help.

"Yeah..." I said. "I feel stupid now."

We searched all night. We made it down three levels.

We found nothing.

*     *     *

Louise was in her hotel by the time the three of them had gotten help. They wouldn't have found her. It wasn't possible. They weren't looking in the right place.

She knew that wthey would die. It wasn't the same for her, though. They killed for a living. They no longer felt guilt, and even enjoyed the power they felt when they took another life. They were sick. She, however, wasn't a killer. She still felt guilt, and she didn't want to do it.

She had no choice. She had to kill the Roses, and there were two of them in the perfect position for her to kill them.

As soon as they discovered their origin, they would realize why they had been born.

She couldn't let that happen.

*     *     *

"Can we just call it a day?" Kirina asked me as we trudged threw the third level of the sewers. "I don't think she's down here."

"She is," I said unconvincingly. "I'm sure."

"Um," Lillith called from ahead of us. "We might have a problem..."

"What is it now?" I yelled ahead.

"You are going to have to see it yourself," she replied.

I turned a corner to where she was.

She was standing in front of something that looked like a giant, black wolf with red eyes. It was glowing.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I have no idea," Lillith replied.

Suddenly, it charged.

The three of us ran.

"Kirina!" I yelled. "Get the other people out of this hellhole!"

"Got it!" Kirina replied.

Suddenly, I was tackeled and on the ground.

"Shit!" I yelled.

I picked up the thing and threw it against a wall, then began running again.

"Down here," Kirina said, and she disappeared downwards.

Lillith and I followed her, and Kirina pulled something over the hole.

*     *     *

"Are you really proposing this weekend?" one police officer asked.

"Of course," the other replied.

"That's a waste of money," the first one said. "Thousands of dollars, so that you can be miserable your entire life."

"That's not true," the second said. "And if it is, then you get to say, 'I told you so.'"

"Well," the first said. "Whatever you say. You have until we open this manhole and see what the fuck's going on down in the sewers to change your mind."

The first one bent down, grabbed the manhole cover, and pulled.

As soon as it was off, a giant, black wolf-like creature jumped out and attacked the second officer.

He never got the chance to propose.

*     *     *

Within the next five hours, while the three of us were working on getting out of the sewers, the city of New Chicago slowly deteriorated. After the demons escaped the sewers, they began killing anybody they could find. People were panicking, and, slowly, society within the city disappeared. The government sent the military to control all borders, and try to keep everything and everybody inside the city. Things went to shit within five hours of the demons leaving the sewers.

*     *     *

We finally got out at around nine o'clock that night.

There wasn't a soul in sight, and there was debris scattered throughout the streets.

"What happened out here?" Kirina said as we walked back to my apartment.

"I don't know," I said. "Nothing natural could have turned the biggest city in America into a desolate wasteland."

We reached my apartment building, and climbed the stairs. When we reached the top floor, we found a man, maybe thirty years old, sitting on the ground.

"They can't get me here," the man muttered as he rocked back and forth. "They can't get me here..."

"What happened?" I asked him.

He turned and looked at me for a second. Then, he jumped at me.

I used my telekinesis to throw him out the window. He landed on the ground, and as we looked down, we saw one of the wolf-like things approach and begin eating his body.

"I think I know what happened," Lillith said.

We were all thinking it.

Whatever had attacked us in the sewer was out. And it would kill anything it found.

TO BE CONTINUED
JANUARY 17...

No comments:

Post a Comment