EPISODE V: QUARANTINE


Piles of bodies in the streets. Debris throught the city. The smell of decay filling the air.

As I ran back to the apartment, these were just a few of the things that I experienced.

It had been two weeks since the city had been quarantined, and Kirina, Lillith, and I were almost out of food. We hadn't seen another living person since the guy that tried to kill me, and we feared the worst. But we were alive, and we just had to figure out how to get rid of the things that filled the city.

I ran up the stairs, flew through the apartment door, and used my powers to slam the door closed and lock it.

"Are you okay?" Lillith asked me.

"I think so," I replied. "Look what I got."

I had taken the best stuff I could find; canned green beans, canned fruit, and best of all, soda.

I dropped the bag of food on the table.

"Yes!" Kirina said. "This should last a few weeks."

"Chaos," Lillith said as we sat down to sort out the food. "We need to talk."

"No more assassinating people?" I said. "Done."

"That was easy," she said.

"I have a newfound sense of humanity," I said. "I now know what it's like to know that you're probably about to die, and there's nothing you can do about it."

"Me too," she said.

"You two still have one hit you have to do," Kirina cut in.

"Who's that?" I asked.

"Louise Rentradt," Lillith said. "She caused all this, I'm sure of it. That means that she could do it again. We have to kill her to protect everyone else."

*     *     *

"God fucking damn it!" Louise shouted as she looked in the last cabinet of her hotel room.

She was out of food. She knew she had to get more, but she couldn't do it. There was a high probability that she would run into one of the Dogs, and they would kill anything that moved.

She grabbed her shotgun and headed out the door.

*     *     *

"Shit," Kirina said as she looked out the window. "Fucking shit."

"What is it?" I asked her.

"I can see some people outside," she replied. "They don't look too friendly."

"God damn it," I said. "Close the curtains."

Kirina obeyed, and I locked the door.

We were silent for ten minutes.

"Check the window," I said.

Lillith stood up and walked over. She pulled back the curtain just a little bit.

"I think their gone," she said.

"Good," I said.

The three of us sat back down at the table.

"Those were the first people we've seen in weeks," Lillith said. "Maybe there are more people out there."

"So, are we going to end this thing?" I asked.

"We should," Kirina said. "But we're going to need to go back to the sewers..."

"We can do that," I said.

"When do we leave?" Lillith asked.

"Tomorrow," I said. "We'll need an entire day to find...whatever's making these things."

*     *     *

Louise ran through the streets, managing to escape the demons. She was beginning to think that this hadn't been the best idea in the world.

Food was the most important thing right now. Nothing else mattered. She needed food, and if she didn't get it, she would die.

As she arrived at the store to find it being guarded by one of the demons, she began to wonder: was it worth it?

*     *     *

Kirina, Lilith, and I flew on our Skybikes to where we had entered the sewers the last time. We saw two of the wolf things on the way. It took us two minutes to fly the four miles to the opening.

"Are we ready?" I asked Lillith and Kirina.

"Yeah," Kirina replied.

"I guess," Lillith said.

We started three levels down, since we had searched the other two. I knew it went down around twenty levels, and it would take us a long time to find what we were looking for, but, in the end, it would be worth it. We didn't see any of the wolf-things, and we had made it to the eighth level by five o'clock at night. That meant we were making progress.

"I think we should start looking at the bottom level," Kirina said when we finished looking on the eighth. "If she caused this, and whatever she used is here, it's probably really far down, sincde nobody would think to look down there."

"You're right," I said.

We found an elevator and took it all way to the bottom level. Once out of it, we began searching. It took us less than ten minutes to find it.

"What is it?" Lillith asked.

"I think it's a portal," Kirina said.

"Well," I said. "Whatever it is, we need to shut it off."

"Pull out that blue orb floating in the glass box on the right," Kirina said. "That's the power source."

"How do you know that?" Lillith asked her.

"She used me to make it. That's the machine you found me in."

I used my telekinesis to shatter the glass, and then pulled out the orb.

*     *     *

Louise instantly felt that something was wrong. She could feel that the Orb had been removed, and that couldn't happen.

"Shit," she said as she stood up from the cheap plastic chair in her hotel room. "Fucking fuck."

There was only one more option.

She would have to kill them herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment